Wednesday, April 18, 2007

News of the Week

So many things have happened in the last few days, I just don't know where to begin.

First, on Friday, we had some severe thunderstorms, but were still able to go to Dallas with Rick and Melissa to see Darrell Scott play. He is an amazing songwriter and performer. He wrote a lot of popular songs for the music industry, but does a lot of little intimate concerts. It was great! While we were out, our friend, Misty, watched Callie. When we arrived home, Misty was very distraught. She had just found out that the long-time boyfriend of one of her best friends had been killed in a car accident. He was an Irving Police Officer and lost control of his car while he was responding to a call to help another officer. The weather appears to be to blame. He was in his twenties and his girlfriend is 26. They had been dating since highschool. Well, tonight I sat down to watch the news and they showed his funeral and part of her eulogy. It was incredibly touching and heartbreaking. My heart goes out to her and the friends and family around her.

After those events on Friday, my Dad's birthday was Saturday. We went to Babe's Chicken Dinner House and then had cake and ice cream at my house. Other than celebrating his birthday, the best part of the day was that my house was clean! We had a good time together.

Sunday, we had small group. It was fun. We are part of a fun group of people that doesn't seem to take life TOO seriously.

Monday, I went to work and then had....you guessed it....BUNCO! For those of you who were there, I am only going to say this: From what I hear, Jon found the tassels.

Callie sprouted her fourth tooth on Monday. She has three on the bottom and one up top. The second one up top is almost in...you can see it. It makes me sad that she is getting so big! I can't believe it!

On a serious note for Monday, the terrible shooting happened at Virginia Tech. I just cannot believe what some people are capable of in this world. I was reading an article about a professor who was a Holocaust survivor. He basically sacrificed himself to save his students. What an amazing thing to do! So many of the victims are remembered as heroes. I wish that none of them became victims of the disturbed young man who decided it was his right to take their lives. My heart goes out to those families and those surrounding them. I don't know what I would do in that situation.

Tuesday, we went to Matt and Karen's house for dinner. They had us over as a thank you for LTC and to get to know us. I really enjoyed having an actual conversation with them! It has been almost a year since they came to Heritage and I have hardly talked to them at all about anything other than Music Camp, LTC, etc. It was nice. I wish we would do that with more people at church. We just live so far away!

For my sports commentary, the Stars lost last night and I am seeing my chances of going to a playoff game slip slowly into the night. Also, I believe Joey Crawford was well within his rights to throw Duncan out of the Mavs/Spurs game. Stern told the officials to take no prisoners at the beginning of the season and now he is a big hypocrite.

Today is Wednesday. Things have been busy, yet pretty good. I am reminded of the wonderful things I have and how lucky I am to be surrounded by friends and family.

One more quick note - I found out that my friend, Zane Williams, has submitted an original song to American Idol for consideration in their contest. He is an amazing songwriter and I had the pleasure of singing with him in the singing groups at ACU for several years. When the voting begins, VOTE FOR ZANE!!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

That is horrible about the police officer. This has been a very sad week!

Bunco was a blast and I'm cracking up that Jon found the tassels. You and Tonya are too much!!

See-Dub said...

STARS WIN! STARS WIN! STARS WIN!

(Yes, I'm a dork for staying up this late for another OT game. At least they won this one.)

Does this mean you'll get to go Saturday?

Jenna said...

Did Jon wear them or Megann?