Thursday, June 21, 2007

Memories

First off, don't be offended that I had to turn on comment moderation for a short time. Please don't let that stop you from making comments on my blog!

Today, my Mom was in our Conference Room shredding old documents. She had everything from old tax records to cancelled checks and old bills. As I looked through some of the items, I found a couple of really interesting things.

1. A letter sent out by Dad's old boss stating that he had been promoted to Executive Vice President of Spreckels Sugar. This letter was from 1985 and was right after we moved to California from Dimmitt, TX. The company was huge and it was such a big achievement for Dad to be promoted. He has always been a great businessman.

2. A stack of cancelled contribution checks from our church in Livermore, CA. What was sad was the address on the checks. For those of you who don't know, I am and will remain very "homesick" for California. I miss it terribly and when I see things that remind me of my time there, I get sad. I wish I had taken advantage of the time there more.

3. An invoice from Spirit Wind Studios, where I had my first recording session. I recorded a lot when I was in highschool and my early college years. I did a lot of originals and some cover tunes. It was so much fun and at that time, I felt like I could really go somewhere with it. I still think I could do something with my music, but my dreams have become a little less grand over time.

After all of this, I got an email from a friend from highschool today asking for a copy of a song we did in my senior year highschool Talent Show. It was completely random to hear from him, but nice to know someone else doesn't have moments of living in the past!!

3 comments:

TriSara said...

It is funny that you brought up Spreckels. I am mainly a water and Dr. Pepper drinker, but when I drink tea I like sweet and low and I always remember you guys giving us a hard time at Grandma's house about not using Spreckels. You would also say "please pass the Spreckels" instead of "please pass the sugar" funny memory.
Of all your recordings I am sure the most valuable one was 'Under the Boardwalk'. A duet performed with your favorite cousin. Do your parents still have the videos of our "shows" that they had to buy tickets for and endure? We were pretty creative as I remember it. I would love to see those.

PB said...

As you get older the memories get stronger, because you can't remember present time. I think it comes from having to remember for 1,2,3 other people in your life. Your memory drops out things that don't rate. Children also have a way of making your dreams not so important anymore, who has the time.

By the way you'll always be a star in my book. Yak, yak, yak.

Jenna said...

I think you are talented!! Dimmitt! I bet you miss living there!!!! I grew up near Hereford - can't say I miss it. I can't believe you liked California better than Dimmitt!!

Did you know that you can delete crazy comments? Is someone trying to pick you up?